Adapted from Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake. Moist and yummy!
-1 3/4 c. sucanat or cane sugar
-2 c. white spelt flour
-1 c. cocoa powder
-1 1/2 t. baking powder*
-1 1/2 t. baking soda
-1 t. salt
-2 eggs OR 1 T. EnerG Egg Replacer plus 4 T. warm water
-1 c. unsweetened soy milk, rice milk, or regular milk
-1/2 c. canola or safflower oil
-2 t. vanilla extract*
-1 c. boiling water
* - Corn-allergic people need to substitute for these ingredients (double the baking soda, use homemade vanilla sugar for part of the sugar or find non-grain vanilla extract).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pan(s) with soy or canola margarine.
2. Mix sucanat/sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add eggs/egg replacer+water, milk, oil, and vanilla.
4. Beat at medium speed for 2 mins. with hand or stand mixer.
5. Mix in boiling water.
6. Pour into pan(s).
7. For two 9-in. round cakes: bake for 25-30 min. or for one 13 X 9 X 2 pan, bake for 30-35 min. until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
See other recipes submitted by Jennifer Simonds