Sugar and yeast free bread
I have found it hard, since I have not been able to eat yeast or sugar, to spend $5.00 a loaf on bread... So... My husband and I came up with a recipe for a yeast and sugar free bread.
2 cups whole wheat flour (make sure it is 100% whole wheat!)
1 cup pastry flour (again, make sure it is %100)
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups of unsweetened applesauce
2 cups of soy milk (Vanilla flavor works well)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. and grease and flour a loaf pan.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Form the dough into a ball. If the dough is too runny, add more flour, if it is too dry, add more soy milk.
3. Form the dough into a log and place into bread pan.
4. Bake in the oven until the dough is fully cooked. I have found that it takes about 25-30 minutes in my oven. However, it may not be the exact same for you.
5. Allow to cool and store in a large ziploc bag or tupperware container. (Bread will stay fresh for about one week)
*I encourage you to play with the recipe a bit! I have found that the bread is sometimes to sweet for me, even with the unsweetened applesauce. However, the applesauce makes the bread moist !) *
See other recipes submitted by Brittany Sinzinger