Green Herb and Avocado Risotto
Deliciously creamy and comforting green risotto. Non-vegans/dairy allergics can add a parmesan and a knob of butter to the final recipe before serving.
2 tsp olive oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
150g/5oz brown rice
1pint hot vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
mixed herbs e.g. parsley, basil, chives, tarragon
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
2. Add the rice and stir until each grain is coated in oil. Add a ladleful of hot stock, and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed into the rice, stirring constantly.
3. Continue adding the stock a few ladlefuls at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each amount to be absorbed before adding the next. This should take about 20-30 minutes, by which time the rice will be creamy and tender but still have a slight bite (al dente).
4. Halve the avocado and remove the stones. Cut the flesh into dice.
4. Stir the herbs, avocado and plenty of seasoning into the rice and serve immediately.
440 calories per serving. Serves 2.
See other recipes submitted by Helen Davies